?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Mozilla madness... - a bug's thoughts [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
The Love Bug

website | Dave Lee
userinfo | livejournal userinfo
archive | journal archive

Mozilla madness... [Jan. 8th, 2005|10:59 am]
The Love Bug
I'm already an ecstatically happy Mozilla Firefox convert, so I thought I'd have a look at Mozilla Thunderbird too.

Thunderbird is an extremely well-designed and feature-packed mail and news client, with much better functionality than Microsoft Outlook.  Having installed and tested it, I feel confident to recommend Thunderbird to anyone looking for a better mail client.

However, as I am a slave to Microsoft culture by owning a PocketPC, I find myself unable to make the switch.  It seems pointless to switch to Thunderbird, if I'm still going to need Outlook for all my PIM requirements.  Those of you who know me well, will know how much I rely on my PocketPC to run my life for me!

Gratuitous Links...

Get Firefox! Get Thunderbird!
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: bnb
2005-01-08 11:01 am (UTC)
I've got the same problem, although I use a palm rather than a PocketPC.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: crazybee
2005-01-08 11:16 am (UTC)
i love firefox :) havent tried thunderbird as I love Eudora so much for my mail :)

may try it for the news groups though
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: stainsteelrat
2005-01-08 12:05 pm (UTC)
I couldn't get on with Firefox, and prefer Avant Browser (which uses IE core). What's Outlook beating about Thunderbird?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dottey
2005-01-08 01:45 pm (UTC)
For a very long time I had been using Avant Browser. But now that Firefox has gone 1.0, I've tried it and really like it. So I've actually made the switch - but I didn't think I would at first. I am glad I did :-)

But I will still use Avant Browser if I ever need to access a site with IE.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: stainsteelrat
2005-01-08 01:49 pm (UTC)
I didn't really like the feel of Firefox, difficult to put into exact words. And Avant for me ain't broke, so I feel no need to fix it :-)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: grumpydave
2005-01-08 12:24 pm (UTC)
I use Firefox on both my PC and my Mac and I love it. I keep meaning to give Thunderbird a go too, but I don't currently have the time/motivation to mess about importing mail etc.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: novemberbug
2005-01-08 12:44 pm (UTC)
I use a notebook which is also incompatible with Mozilla. Well actually it's a WH Smith silver 2005 diary, so no wonder ;-)

Firefox is nifty - for some reason on Thursday mine got a bug in it (downloaded something it shouldn't have, for some reason) and I was trying to use IE until I could find out how to fix it. *shudders* Never again. IE is absolutely crap in comparison, nowhere near as user friendly as Firefox. Thank God I managed to fix it. Maybe I should try Thunderbird too.

:-)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dottey
2005-01-08 01:45 pm (UTC)
Well actually it's a WH Smith silver 2005 diary, so no wonder

LOL!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dottey
2005-01-08 01:43 pm (UTC)
I now use Firefox 99% of the time. I made the switch after hey finally went to 1.0. Prior to that it still felt rather buggy and slow to me. But now I am enjoying it. The other 1% of the time, I am forced to use IE for some sites at work.

I tried Thunderbird once during an earlier release and felt the same about it. I have not tried it again since it went 1.0. I use Outlook 2003 at work and have also taken it home. But I honestly really like it. I can't find any complaints about it either (as long as I have added the SpamBayes e-mail filtering). So I am curious what functionality is "much better" in Thunderbird "than Microsoft Outlook."
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: easytiger
2005-01-08 01:54 pm (UTC)
I love the junk filter thunderbird has :o)

It also has some other small quirks, like not having a few things that used to annoy me about outlook :o)

The one thing that annoys me about firefox (the rest of it is really good), my forum looks poo with it, and nothing like how it should look :o/
(Reply) (Thread)
From: elegantangel
2005-01-08 07:11 pm (UTC)
my website looks crappy in mozilla.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thelovebug
2005-01-08 07:24 pm (UTC)
You've got a bit of malformed HTML in your site... that may be part of the reason?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: elegantangel
2005-01-08 07:49 pm (UTC)
oh yah, that's definately it, i just don't know how to fix it.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)