|Hard Disk Upgrade...
||[Oct. 13th, 2008|09:10 pm]
The Love Bug
Following on from this post from last week, my new 250GB hard drive arrived this afternoon.
Thus follows the simplest hardware upgrade I have ever had to perform.
This means that I can now send the laptop back for repair with the old 100GB hard drive in it... and I don’t really care whether they trash it or not, as I’ll be putting the 250GB back in when I get it back! It’ll still be interesting to see if they do wipe it.
- Connected the 250GB using an external HDD caddy (with 2.5“ drive adapter)
- Used gparted to partition the new drive
- Booted laptop from LiveCD
- dd‘d the data from /dev/sda1 (100GB) to /dev/sdb1 (250GB)
- Ran fsck to fix the filesystem size
- Edited /etc/fstab to put UUID’s in
- Put 250GB into laptop, and rebooted
- When nothing happened, I remembered that I’d forgotten to sort out grub
- Booted laptop from LiveCD again
- Installed grub into MBR
- Rebooted laptop from HDD
- Fell off my chair when it worked
Chuffed? You could say that! :o)